Sunday, May 8, 2011

Back on the Road again. Part two

I'm elated by my ride today. My time for the ride was faster than I did three years ago. Maybe it was the beautiful day with no wind and sun but three years after eighty is a lot more than three years in your middle years.My damaged foot has been no handicap and the break with only training on the trainer has perhaps been beneficial.

I should have lost a lot over the last few years yet it has not happened as expected, so perhaps...Well I can dream.

Elaine's health has improved so much since her op and she is back to working a bit in the nursery. Last year I was in hospital twice which knocked me back a bit but the proceedures have helped me a lot.

When I competed in the South African Duathlon Championships at sixty seven years old, I found I was in the same group as a sixty year old. All groups were at five year intervals but then suddenly became 60+. I complained about it to no avail but was told they would fix it the next year. At the World Championships the groups went right up at intervals to eighty five. Anyway at the worlds I beat him by about seven minutes. But the point is that the divisions become even more important the older one gets. Even a year can make a difference.

There is a theory that when taking up an athleic sport late in life you can go on improving for seven years. So after my break from serious training,starting again three years ago, maybe I will go on improving for another four years!!

2 Comments:

At May 10, 2011 at 9:34 PM , Blogger Monster said...

Hi, good to hear you are back on the bike, starting reading your blog last year before Taupo and sorry to hear you did not manage to enter - are you planning on entering this year??
Just started my training ago but the Christchurch quakes, an 11 week old baby are hitting my training time. Love reading your blog as we lived in hawkes bay until December last year and it takes me back to all the amazing places and riding. Take care, stay safe and enjoy the riding. All the best,
Simon

 
At May 22, 2011 at 8:17 PM , Blogger . said...

Im not committing myself to the challenge this year. I will just have to see how my training goes. I don't want to put any pressure on myself.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home